| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
adityanlal
Joined: 20 Dec 2004 Posts: 5 Location: Kolkata, India
|
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:01 pm Post subject: To start with |
|
|
Hi!
I am new to the concept of BMPI. Can anyone help me in getting more information about BPML by providing book names (if available in market) or any URLs where I can get detail description with some examples. Here is my basic requirement: How and from where I can start?
Thanks in advance
Aditya N Lal _________________ Thanks & Regards
Aditya N Lal |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
lfischer

Joined: 30 Jul 2004 Posts: 31 Location: Florida
|
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:04 pm Post subject: To start with |
|
|
You will find many useful references, articles and white papers on the BPMI.org website under RESOURCES.
/resources.htm _________________ Executive Director
BPMI.org |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
adityanlal
Joined: 20 Dec 2004 Posts: 5 Location: Kolkata, India
|
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:19 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Thanks lfischer for your reply.
In fact I was looking for some example for better understanding of the concept. Say I have a process for purchasing and I want to know how this new concept will improve this process resulting in $ savings, timely procurement etc.
THANKS in advance
Aditya N Lal _________________ Thanks & Regards
Aditya N Lal |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Derek Miers

Joined: 02 Aug 2004 Posts: 45 Location: London
|
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:08 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Aditya
I think you are talking about different things. BPML is a language for describing executable processes ... and for all intents and purposes has been overtaken by BPEL (4WS) as the execution language. This has been driven by the market,reflecting M$, IBM, BEA initial sponsorship rather than it being superior to BPML (in fact BPEL has a number of marked deficiencies which we hope to address with upcoming work on a set of extensions for BPEL).
What your second posting reflects is a desire to carry out some sort of what-if analysis or simulation on a given process model. These are not the same things (as an executable language for process). Process execution is about making the model actually happen in real life, driving the work through the business using an executable definition of a process (which may be based on a process model that you have originally developed and then analysed). |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
adityanlal
Joined: 20 Dec 2004 Posts: 5 Location: Kolkata, India
|
Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:20 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Derek
Thanks for the detail reply and I really appreciate your help in distinguishing the two. Now I am more clear. In fact I am looking for the process modelling. Can you throw some more light in relation to these
1. To me, it seems more like six sigma, which also concentrates on process improvement.
2. Any tool, by which, I can do process simulation and carry out the analysis.
3. Say I simulate a process and when it comes to execution, does this is being carried out BPML (or BPEL).
THANKS in advacne
Aditya N Lal[/list] |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Derek Miers

Joined: 02 Aug 2004 Posts: 45 Location: London
|
Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:03 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Aditya,
Too many variables in there to answer without a much better understanding of your context and situation. Also, we are moving away from the role of BPMI here toward the domain of consulting and training.
Short answers are
1) Yes, Six Sigma also thinks about Process Models and the metrics that relate to them (indeed most metrics only make sense in relation to some sort of process model)
2) Tools dont carry out analysis - people do. They need ways of modelling and communicating. Process Modelling tools can support this and there is a very wide range of available environments ... from drawing packages to sophisticated repositories.
3) Simulation is one potential approach when analysing a BP. Modern BP support environments are able to execute structured BPs ... and there are a great many of these too.
You should start reading widely - lots of papers out there and support groups - have a look at BPM Institute, BPMG, BP Trends ... |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
adityanlal
Joined: 20 Dec 2004 Posts: 5 Location: Kolkata, India
|
Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:43 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Thanks Derek
I appreciate your response.
THNAKS once again.
Aditya N Lal |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|